Re: i815E and SiS630 video drivers

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 07:11:53PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Ditto, NetBSD 1.5 (XF86 3.3.6 iirc) and Gateway 3350.  Ah well.
> wscons is pretty badly hosed (vc switching hooks into the APM, which
> then proceeds to crash the system by triggering the nonexistent USB
> hub)

Yargh.  Looks like a _really_ broken APM BIOS implementation.

> as is the Japanese keyboard.

wsconsctl -w encoding=jp

Works as long as the keyboard isn't USB.  I haven't figured out how to
make it work with USB keyboards.

> However, once I found out that the kernel debugger had a sync command, the
> post-oops fscks went away.  Cool!  Why doesn't Linux have that?

'cause Linus doesn't believe in debuggers.  SGI has a kdebug patch, but
I don't think it implements sync.

> The bootselect MBR is particularly sweet.  Dunno about the 8GB line,
> but it breaks the 2GB line no sweat.  In 446 bytes.  Grossly Revolting
> Undisciplined Bootloader, just say no.  :-)

Yep.  There's something to be said for a first-stage bootloader that
treats devices linearly :)

-- Chris