Re: displaying japanese characters

>>>>> "B0Ti" == B0Ti  <9915104t@example.com> writes:

    B0Ti> The original question by Hector was: "How can I change the
    B0Ti> settings in order to be able to show the japanese
    B0Ti> characters?"

    B0Ti> Or am I missing something?

Assuming competent internationalization[1], the English catalog should
always be available as the hard-coded default, and the Japanese will
be invoked by setting LANG to a ja locale.  Vine Linux being
advertised for its Japan localization, it seems logical to guess at
LANG=ja right off the bat.

Further, the fact that he's getting mojibake indicates that Japanese
_is_ being sent to the display, and therefore LANG=ja, but the display
can't handle it.  Thus my suggestion to get kon (fixing the display)
and Dmytro's to use LANG=C (dumbing down the output so the display can
handle it).  Hector, of course, has already demonstrated his ability
to understand English by posting to this list, no interface
incompatibility there.

    cs> On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 06:11:05PM +0900, B0Ti wrote:

    >> "How can I change the settings in order to be able to show the
    >> japanese characters?"

    cs> There should be _no_ settings in XF86Config that affect the
    cs> ability to display Japanese fonts.

Now, now, Kayote-chan, ochitsukinasai.

Nobody is talking about X, here, are we:

    Hector> I am using Linux Vine 2.0, and have problem displaying
    Hector> japanese fonts in the console (before loading X)

nyaaaah

PNG image

Footnotes:
[1]  Always a stretch, unfortunately.  Especially so for Japanese.  :-(