Mailing List Archive
Support open source code!
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [OT] email forwarding?
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: [OT] email forwarding?
- From: Jonathan Q <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:20:09 +0900
- Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
- Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
- In-Reply-To: <MABBIDMAKKBPLOLJGGBDEEDKCBAA.firstname.lastname@example.org>; from email@example.com on Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 09:14:21PM +0900
- References: <20001114094840.E682@example.com> <MABBIDMAKKBPLOLJGGBDEEDKCBAA.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-To: email@example.com
- Resent-From: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Resent-Message-ID: <w7CJKC.A.cwF.FxTE6@example.com>
- Resent-Sender: email@example.com
Jack Morgan (firstname.lastname@example.org) wrote: Jack> Look at www.csoft.net Better: NS.csoft.net internet address = 18.104.22.168 NS2.csoft.net internet address = 22.214.171.124 These may be on a subnetted /24 (or maybe not; no way to know for sure except to ask them, if they'll tell you). No secondary DNS. OK, I know that's rarer than it ought to be, but looking for a hosting provider that has it is worthwhile. Here's an example of what it looks like: gol.com nameserver = ns01.dns.gol.com gol.com nameserver = ns02.dns.gol.com gol.com nameserver = ns03.dns.gol.com gol.com nameserver = ns04.dns.gol.com gol.com nameserver = domain01.dns.erols.net gol.com nameserver = domain02.dns.erols.net gol.com nameserver = offsite01.dns.erols.net When you see some nameservers that are from a totally different domain, those can be assumed to be secondaries. Next, visit that domain's web site and see where they are. If they're geographically diverse, you've found somebody with bulletproof DNS. Just as bad as Door #1: csoft.net preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.csoft.net Single MX. Two or more MXes are also a good thing. Not as critical as redundant nameservers, since mail will queue in the event of an outage, but multiple MXes give you less chance of a mail outage. Jonathan
- Re: [OT] email forwarding?
- From: "Thomas O'Dowd" <email@example.com>
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: RE: [OT] email forwarding?
- Next by Date: Re: [OT] email forwarding?
- Prev by thread: RE: [OT] email forwarding?
- Next by thread: Re: [OT] email forwarding?
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links