Mailing List Archive
Support open source code!
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: DSelect/base-passwd
- From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:00:13 +0900 (JST)
- Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
- Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
- In-Reply-To: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <3A10B915.14C93AF6@example.com><email@example.com><firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-To: email@example.com
- Resent-From: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Resent-Message-ID: <XPpjJD.A.OnF.o3QE6@example.com>
- Resent-Sender: email@example.com
>>>>> "Viktor" == Viktor Pavlenko <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes: Viktor> If postgreSQL itself doesn't enforce a particular uid for Viktor> postgres user, why a pkg management program should do Viktor> that?.. I don't know. I disagree with a lot of Debian policies; this is one of them. A lot of Debian policies are apparently written down on paper and never tried until they're imposed on the users. There is alway a way around them, though ;-) Viktor> And is it worth learning how to use this program if you Viktor> have to know and remember much more than you would have to Viktor> if you just compiled the sources yourself? Of course it is. True, any given package you can probably replace with a compiled-from-source version with little trouble. But starting from scratch and building up a system that way is a lot harder than selecting from a package manager. There are other reasons for building from source as much as you can. But because it's easier than leaving everything up to the PMS is not one of them. -- University of Tsukuba Tennodai 1-1-1 Tsukuba 305-8573 JAPAN Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences Tel/fax: +81 (298) 53-5091 _________________ _________________ _________________ _________________ What are those straight lines for? "XEmacs rules."
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: DSelect/base-passwd
- Next by Date: RE: [OT] email forwarding?
- Prev by thread: Re: DSelect/base-passwd
- Next by thread: [OT] email forwarding (no clue)
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links