gtk 1.2.8 and Japanese fonts

Hello,

  I have been running the Japanese version of Turbolinux 6.0
for sometime, and was pretty happy with the Japanese environment
(finally could input Japanese to netscape!). However, for various
reasons I recently upgraded to Gtk 1.2.8. I compiled from
source so that I could configure for a japanese environment.
It *almost* works well. Japanese fonts get displayed and I
can still input Japanese. But the character widths seem to
be calculated incorrectly somewhere. Many of the labels for
buttons and menus get truncated, for example. (although in
text windows everthing is fine). Does anyone have any idea how
to fix this problem? Thanks.

Phil R Cummins                                 cummins@example.com
Frontier Research for Subduction Dynamics  tel(i/d):81/0-468-67-3393
JAMSTEC, 2-15 Natsushima-cho               fax(i/d):81/0-468-67-3409
Yokosuka 237-0061, Japan