Re: tlug: telnet: different question + others

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 03:42:14PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> I'm really shocked at how many people take such a light view of this.
>
> This thread is discussing means of obtaining privileges on a system,
> privileges that the system's owner clearly does not wish to grant.

Nothing discussed involved spoofing the ID or the source of the
connection; the scam was to be run in the user's own account space, in
ways that would leave the user's game open to detection through the usual
system monitoring tools available to the SA.  The lighthearted bits were
meant to suggest that it's probably less work to just turn up for class.

> Ethically, the same as using an open relay, kiddie scripts, or a root
> kit.  Think about what this exploit would imply if it were conducted
> on _your_ system.

I think it would imply that I need to change the way I maintain my
attendance records.

> But legally the U would very likely be within its rights to batter his
> butt and make tempura out of it.
>
> Ethically, too, IMO, at least for a second or aggravated offense.

It does involve lying, and that should be treated as a pretty serious
business within an educational institution.  But if a student is able to
get away with the computing equivalent of propping up a scarecrow in their
seat and sneaking out the back door, the University might be inclined to
come after me instead.  :-)

Cheers,
----
-x80
Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@
Faculty of Law, Nagoya Univ () email: bennett@example.com
Tel: +81[(0)52]789-2239     ()

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA