Re: tlug: telnet: different question + others

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Frank Bennett wrote:

> > I thought about making a cron job that would log in before class and log
> > out after, but dunno exactly what command to execute. Is it possible
> > with telnet or only ssh?
>
> The answer to the bit followed by a question mark is "No", I expect.

If you use telnet or ssh, then you need to setup a script (there is a
programming language called "expect" which is good for this) to listen for
the login: and Password: prompts.

You may be able to use rlogin though. Assuming your machine is called
x.jp and your username is called boti, do this:

echo "x.jp boti" >> ~/.rhosts

Now try typing "rlogin localhost" and notice that it lets you into your
account without having to specify your password. So you can make your cron
job do that. (The .rhosts thing is disabled on some machines these days
due to security reasons; hackers would echo "+ +" into peoples' .rhosts
files which causes them to not require password for rlogin at all. If
that's the case, look up expect.)

-Philip Mak (pmak@example.com)

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA