Re: [Lingo] Usage of "should"

On Thu, May 31, 2012, at 09:26, Godwin Stewart wrote:
> On Wed, 30 May 2012 16:21:40 -1000, David J Iannucci
> <jlinux@example.com> wrote:
>
> > In this particular case, you could replace s/should/when/ and it
> > wouldn't change the overall meaning *that* much
>
> I beg to differ.
>
> There is a nuance between should and if. "If" implies more likelihood
> of the condition being met than "should" does.
>
> s/if/when/ would alter the meaning less than s/should/when/ would.

I didn't mean to suggest that the meaning wouldn't change, only that in
the real-world semantics of the particular example given, it didn't seem
like the practical, concrete difference in meaning would change the
intent of the text much (in other words, that particular "should" may
have been used more to make the text sound formal than to impart a
nuanced difference between should/if/when). Perhaps an overstep.

Dave