Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Lingo] Usage of "should"
- Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 16:43:56 -1000
- From: David J Iannucci <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [Lingo] Usage of "should"
- References: <CACvCDgZO+N+mBJVEey8q_=VH_T4_f1DPeTA6oJGwAAVZEULZqw@mail.gmail.com> <1338430900.7825.140661082995733.4D7E12CF@webmail.messagingengine.com> <email@example.com>
On Thu, May 31, 2012, at 09:26, Godwin Stewart wrote: > On Wed, 30 May 2012 16:21:40 -1000, David J Iannucci > <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote: > > > In this particular case, you could replace s/should/when/ and it > > wouldn't change the overall meaning *that* much > > I beg to differ. > > There is a nuance between should and if. "If" implies more likelihood > of the condition being met than "should" does. > > s/if/when/ would alter the meaning less than s/should/when/ would. I didn't mean to suggest that the meaning wouldn't change, only that in the real-world semantics of the particular example given, it didn't seem like the practical, concrete difference in meaning would change the intent of the text much (in other words, that particular "should" may have been used more to make the text sound formal than to impart a nuanced difference between should/if/when). Perhaps an overstep. Dave
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [Lingo] マニュアルチック
- Next by Date: Re: [Lingo] 間 vs 間
- Previous by thread: Re: [Lingo] マニュアルチック
- Next by thread: Re: [Lingo] 間 vs 間
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links