Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Lingo] Usage of "should"
- Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 12:19:58 +1000
- From: Jim Breen <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [Lingo] Usage of "should"
- References: <CACvCDgZO+N+mBJVEey8q_=VH_T4_f1DPeTA6oJGwAAVZEULZqw@mail.gmail.com>
On 31 May 2012 12:05, Nguyễn Vũ Hưng <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote: > In the sentence: > "Contingent response: the actions to be taken should the risk event > actually occur" > > I need some help: > > 1. What is the meaning of "should", You can take it to mean "if" in this example. > 2. I thought that in this case, "should" can be replace by "when", and, No, "when" means it will/is likely to happen. "should" implies it is not that likely. > 3. Usage of "should" like this are common at the front desk of hotels > :), not technical English :) It's quite correct English. It's explained the Shorter OED entry for "shall": "In a hypothetical cl. relating to the future, indicating that the supposition, though entertained as possible, is viewed as less likely or less welcome than some alternative." HTH Jim -- Jim Breen Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Clayton School of IT, Monash University Webmaster: Hawthorn Rowing Club, Treasurer: Japanese Studies Centre Graduate student: Language Technology Group, University of Melbourne
- [Lingo] Usage of "should"
- From: Nguyễn Vũ Hưng
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: [Lingo] Usage of "should"
- Next by Date: Re: [Lingo] Usage of "should"
- Previous by thread: [Lingo] Usage of "should"
- Next by thread: Re: [Lingo] Usage of "should"
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links