Re: [Lingo] Usage of "should"

On 31 May 2012 12:05, Nguyễn Vũ Hưng <vuhung16plus@example.com> wrote:

> In the sentence:
> "Contingent response: the actions to be taken should the risk event
> actually occur"
>
> I need some help:
>
> 1. What is the meaning of "should",

You can take it to mean "if" in this example.

> 2. I thought that in this case, "should" can be replace by "when", and,

No, "when" means it will/is likely to happen. "should" implies it is not
that likely.

> 3. Usage of "should" like this are common at the front desk of hotels
> :), not technical English :)

It's quite correct English. It's explained the Shorter OED entry for
"shall": "In a hypothetical cl. relating to the future, indicating that
the supposition, though entertained as possible,  is viewed as less likely
or less welcome than some alternative."

HTH

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Clayton School of IT, Monash University