Re: [Lingo] Bulgarian and Russian and Romanian (oh my?)

On Mon, 2011-03-07 at 13:12 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> While mutual intelligibility is clearly an important criterion, and my
> examples are mostly frivolous, I really have to wonder whether it is
> either necessary or sufficient.

The other prime example of mutual intelligibility of two (what people
generally consider separate) languages is Swedish and Norwegian. I
remember hearing a long time ago, before I became a *recovering*
linguist, that languages are distinct if the people speaking them have
their own armies. By this definition, Mandarin and Cantonese are the
same language (despite lack of mutual intelligibility) and Swedish and
Norwegian separate. As someone mentioned before, it all comes down to
politics.
--
Stuart Luppescu -=- slu .at. ccsr.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR