Re: [Lingo] 件(けん)

On 3/29/2010 9:39 AM, David J Iannucci wrote:
Steve,

件 is a counter for events or... I'm struggling here... incidents, or
issues (maybe)... I'm not sure there's any way to nail this down more
generically in English.  But when you get used to it it seems natural
enough :-)

Actually, WWWJDIC gives a pretty concise summary...

Dave

Opps.  I've been bit by this before and should know better.  Yes -- WWWJDIC says exactly what I was looking for but I'm used to using Rikaichan which says only

件    けん    (n) matter; case; item
vs. the current WWWJDIC entry which is:
件 【けん】 (n) (1) matter; case; item; (ctr) (2) counter for cases, matters, etc.; (P)

I need to remember to actually check WWWJDIC when Rikaichan doesn't fit.

Thank you Dave.

Steve S.