Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Lingo] Usage of "as such"
- Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 04:42:17 +0900
- From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [Lingo] Usage of "as such"
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
Keith Bawden writes: > On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Hung Nguyen Vu > <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote: > > Can I say, > > > > Akihabara and the *places like that* maybe a danger for foreign tourists. > > Akihabara and the place as such maybe a danger for foreign tourists. > > > > It would be nice if you provide some example with "as such". > > Akihabara and places like that maybe a danger for foreign tourists, > _as such_ they should stay away! > > There is an example of "as such" for you. Here "as such" has the semantics "because they are foreigh tourists [they should stay away]". Is that what you intended? Here's another example: Akihabara is a place that attracts large crowds, and as such may be subject to random acts of violence. In Japanese I'd probably use こそ to capture the connotations of "as such": 秋葉原のような人道りの多い場所こそには取り間実験が起こりやすいでしょ う。 (I admit that 「こそには」 is a leetle beet 文法的にあやしい kedo....)
- [Lingo] Usage of "as such"
- From: Hung Nguyen Vu
- Re: [Lingo] Usage of "as such"
- From: Keith Bawden
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [Lingo] Usage of "as such"
- Next by Date: [Lingo] Interesting forward from a cousin
- Previous by thread: Re: [Lingo] Usage of "as such"
- Next by thread: [Lingo] Interesting forward from a cousin
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links