Re: [Lingo] Usage of "as such"

> Akihabara and the *places like that* maybe a danger for foreign
> tourists.

Akihabara and *places like that* maybe a danger for foreign tourists.
(no 'the')

Still even so, the main problem for me is in meaning of "places like
that".  Crowded?  Where computers are sold?  Where people tend to carry
cash to buy things?

> Akihabara and the place as such maybe a danger for foreign tourists.
No you can't say that.

How about:

Criminals target places where people tend to carry cash.  As such,
Akihabara may be a danger for foreign tourists.

[in this case, "as such" is obviously shortened from "as such a place"

as such = "in or by it's nature; considered alone; in that capacity or
function.

examples: The process as such is simple in concept, although the
machinery required to do it is highly complex.

He had recently been promoted to sales manager and felt that, as such,
he should have two secretaries.

Shawn