RE: [Lingo] spaces in japanese writing

<snip>
>  I received a note from a friend (email) and
> out of about200 characters there were 3 spaces.
>
> So -- is there a rule/convention for this??  When should you
> use spaces when writing Japanese?

I am just guessing on this one, but it could be that some concepts just
need the separation.
I have observed spaces used after any comma use, and occaisonaly where
there was no comma,
but it would have made sense to have a comma in an English or German
scentence.

I have seen at times scentences broken up by clause as well.
Kind of like "theboyran towardstheschool becausehewaslate."
:P

Warning:
These are just observations.  My own personal level of Japanese speech
is still very minimal.
Don't assume I know what I am talking about. ^_^