Re: tlug: TLUG IRC Server

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Uva Coder wrote:
> Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Scott M. Stone wrote:
> >
> > > JST isn't -0900... can't be, considering that PST is -0800.  I think Japan
> > > is +0900, not -0900.... or am I wrong again? :)
> >
> > You're right -- JST is GMT+9
>
> I'm glad you guys caught that before I uploaded the info onto the
> webpage.

I believe it was DOS that required you to reverse the sign when setting
the TZ environment variable (a legacy issue because DOS was originally
intended only for U.S. sale, and since all U.S. time zones are negative
GMT, then decided they could save one character... sigh)

And if I recall correctly, there are some other OSes that also use this
convention.

Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)