Re: tlug: Can you believe this?

    Scott> On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

    >> I doubt that MS will ever make a big Linux play, at least not
    >> as long as the OS and the app divisions are a single company.
    >> MS's whole culture is antithetical to the Unix philosophy.  I
    >> doubt they could make a good Unix product, even starting with
    >> an existing Linux distro (say, buy SuSE).  Their play on Linux
    >> would be on the app side, porting IE and Office to Linux.

    Scott> But that would be Good Things (IE and Office for
    Scott> Linux).... wouldn't they?

Good for Linux, bad for NT IMO.  The latter is why I don't think MS
will make that play at this time; I think they're hoping to continue
in one piece.

(Frank Bennett thinks those apps could very likely be bad for Linux,
FWIW.)

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 20:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)