Re: tlug: Can you believe this?

    Scott> hmph.  If I was Microsoft, I'd make my own linux distro and
    Scott> then try to dominate the industry from three angles - NT
    Scott> server, desktop OS, and UNIX server/desktop.  Their Linux
    Scott> product might take some sales from NT, but overall sales
    Scott> would still be higher.

Bill has been there, done that.  Remeber Xenix?

I doubt that MS will ever make a big Linux play, at least not as long
as the OS and the app divisions are a single company.  MS's whole
culture is antithetical to the Unix philosophy.  I doubt they could
make a good Unix product, even starting with an existing Linux distro
(say, buy SuSE).  Their play on Linux would be on the app side,
porting IE and Office to Linux.

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 20:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)