tlug: Re: bells and pings

Thanks for all the helpful hints (and chuckles).
I was finally able to remove the screw with the
computer intact and only a few cuts and bruises
to myself.
The combination of oiling, tapping with a hammer
and heating the thing with a lighter (don't have
a torch - lucky the screw is away from the boards)
paid off in the end.

re diagnosing a ppp connection, a lot of people
recommend pppload. haven't tried it myself yet,
however.

re Real Audio:
a few weeks back someone mentioned that he
couldn't get the Real Player 5.0 going with glibc2
distributions. I just installed G2 on my laptop
(TL4.0). It turns out that you can
get the Linux Real Player G2 from www.download.com
(it's apparently not possible to find it at
real.com). When you install the rpm on the glibc2
distribution, you may get an error message telling
you that "libNoVersion.so.1" is necessary. Forcing
the rpm installation with --nodeps works.
I somehow ended up without a presets.rnx file,
however, meaning no preset channels. I just used
the presets.rnx that came with a Mac Real Player
setup and it worked.

Tony Laszlo
Jiyugaoka, Tokyo

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 20:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)