tlug: Re: bells and pings

* Happy to report that, with the generous help of several
Tluggers, I have achieved much of what I had set out to do.
IP-Masquerading is now working; a Linux box and Mac are now
accessing the Net via the server and its ppp connection.
Picked up a junk 28.8 modem which beats the 14.4 one that
the Aptiva came with; 10-baseT ethernet setup...how can I check
on transfer speeds? A Perl thing I was playing around with
(it was CPAN - don't ask) seemed to assess th Ethernet
connection between the two Linux boxes at 9600 baud...
Managed to get nfs working properly; this will be a big
help. Simon Cozens. didn't break my email, as he had said (I
did that, of course). In fact, he gave me some very
helpful advice regarding the above and procmail, as well.
Special thanks to him and to Jim Tittsler for advice
on how to quiet the modem; worked like a charm.

> From: shimpei@example.com

> Besides, if all you want to do is to spin down the disks when they aren't
> in use, you can accomplish that through hdparm(8) without having to mess
> with APM.

* Will look into that. I read somewhere that it was possible to damage the
disks with hdparm and so haven't pursued that yet.

> > The electricity saved would be negligble, too.  How negligible?  If you
> > aren't talking about a notebook that is frequently run on battery power,
> > it's not worth thinking about.
>
> The monitor may be worth thinking about, though. Of course, you can always
> turn your monitor off....

* I didn't even have to read the manual for that one :)

* Anyone have any suggestions for freeing up a very stubborn
bolt that is in charge of pinning my old modem into its slot?
The head is not _quite_ stripped yet.

Tony Laszlo
ISSHO
www.issho.gol.com

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 20:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)