Re: tlug: CD burner

On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 02:18:18PM +0900, Dennis McMurchy wrote:
> On 6 Dec 1999, Simon Cozens wrote:
>
> > If you get an IDE one, things are, well, suboptimal.
> > You'd have to compile in support for IDE-SCSI emulation and then pretend
> > the thing's actually a SCSI drive. It works, but it's not fun.
>
> which has worked just fine with the usual Xcdroast software.  Yeah,
> you do have to compile in IDE-SCSI emulation to get things working.
> So what?  It works like a charm once that's done.

I actually think it is a good solution.  It exploits the fact that the ATAPI
drives and the SCSI drives both use the same MMC command set with two
different transport protocols.  (Of course, I'm typing this in the awkward
position of patting myself on the back since I design CD-R.* drives and was
part of the boring and seemingly interminable MMC discussion process... and
my company has only done ATAPI drives for the past 5 years.)

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo   ICQ: 5981586

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 20:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)