Re: tlug: Gnome virtual desktops

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Dennis McMurchy wrote:

> tonight (12 secs), until I discovered that I can no longer scroll
> between desktops by just moving the mouse - I have to use the pager.  I
> wouldn't mind so much if I could just find the bloody setting to put
> things back the way they were.   I can't, of course, and I would
> appreciate it very much if someone would point me in the right
> direction.

which window manager?  Enlightenment?  heh :)

>   I hate to say it, but this is really beginning to remind me more
> and more of the kind of idiotic and endless struggles that many of
> us have had with a certain other elementary and experimental OS whose
> name I will not mention.  It sure as hell was _never_ like this with
> fvwm under Slackware!

fvwm didn't do as much, either.  I'll bet cavemen didn't have air
conditioning problems with their stone wheels, either :)

>   When I started using Lignux four years ago, I didn't have to put
> up with Japanese support that doesn't quite work,

... but it didn't have as many features... increase complexity, increase
problem potential.

> with a browser
> that just crashes on all sorts of pages,

It was the same browser you have now.  Only difference is that the pages
that crash (mainly Java, yes?) hadn't been made yet and/or you were using
an ancient Netscape that didn't do Java at all...

> and a window manager (?) that
> is about as flakey as you-know-what.  Where the hell are we going
> with this?  I used to be proud to recommend Linux to people, but I
> really can't anymore. Does anyone else have this same horrible feeling?

Actually, W95's window manager is pretty stable.  It's the underlying
stuff that gives trouble.  However, I'd suggest not using Enlightenment if
you can help it.  I know that WindowMaker is officially gnome-compliant as
well, and Afterstep 1.6 seems to at least pretend to be, although you have
to configure it by hand (AS == fvwm++ :) ).

Might want to see if TL's gnome desktop in TL4 is any better than RH's,
though.  I haven't personally seen/used it, but it's at least an
alternative to ripping out everything and fixing it by hand.

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Systems (UNIX) and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January, 2000
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)