Re: tlug: Why use Linux? (was: Caldera)

Andrew Drapp (lists.tlug):
>As far as security, performance,
>reliability, networking, remote access, et. al. The Other OS(tm) is at
>least as good as Linux, if not better than Linux."

I do hope you're joking.

I've worked for several very large companies (including the database
company) and we found Windows NT to be an absolute nightmare, to the
point that we stopped supporting it and moved over to Linux.

Security-wise, it's disgusting. There can be an exploit in the network
stack and we'd all have to sit around and wait for Microsoft to release
a patch. With Linux, I'd have a look at the exploit - and someone would
probably come up with a patch - and I'd fix the kernel code
appropriately. Within a few hours, sometimes within minutes, of being
notified of the problem.

Performance. We clocked Linux between ten and thirty times faster than
Windows on equivalent database applications on equivalent hardware, and
between fifty and a hundred times faster on network server performance.
Sorry, I don't think anyone claiming Windows is a high performance
operating system is going to get anywhere with me.

Reliability. This is what makes me think you're joking. I don't want to
get into an uptime dicksize war, because we all know Linux can win
there. Just think about this: a bug in your window manager brings down
your OS. Sensible compartmentalisation it ain't.

Networking. Well, Linux supports open protocols.

Remote access. Show me a *secure* administrative remote connection to
an NT server, and I'll show you ssh.

What is this rubbish? Is it supposed to convey some sort of information?

--
"Whip me.  Beat me.  Make me maintain AIX."
(By Stephan Zielinski)