Re: tlug: Caldera Japanese version (Clearification)

You(Scott M. Stone) wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:
> > "Scott M. Stone" <sstone@example.com> wrote,
> > > NT runs on the DEC Alpha processor, too.
> > It ran on the Alpha until they cancelled that project a few
> > weeks ago :-)
> figures.  Microsoft and Intel seem to be in bed with each other... is
> *anyone* going to commercially support the Alpha in terms of software?  It
> has no major OS backing at all now, does it?

Actually, "they" in this case refers to Compaq as well as Microsoft.
They finally realized that being in bed with Microsoft is like being
in bed with a vampire, I guess. NT on Alpha never seemed to do any
good for the overall fate of the Alpha architecture.

I doubt Microsoft and Intel are too happy about being in bed with each
other--both of them are too big and powerful for the other one's
comfort. That's one reason why Microsoft tried really hard to go
cross-platform, and Intel is being rather friendly to Linux and BeOS.

FWIW, the Alpha still has Tru64 Unix (what a dumb name--but I digress)
and VMS, both of which Compaq insists aren't dead. And then there are
the free Unices--Linux, of course, not to mention the *BSDs. Are you
trying to tell us Linux isn't a major OS or something? :-)

--
Shimpei Yamashita   山下晋平      <http://www.submm.caltech.edu/%7Eshimpei/>
perl -w -e '$_="not a perl hacker\n";$q=qq;(.);x9;$qq=qq;345123h896789,;;$s=