Re: tlug: Distribution War!!!

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
[snip]
>     Marc> Their admin tools allow for direct editing of the config
>     Marc> files for programs so people can use either way of
>     Marc> administering their box.
>
> This is very good; something I missed in Turbolinux.  Debian has this
> in primitive form (comments that say "if you touch this line remove
> this comment so the configuration tool knows about it").  Is this more
> sophisticated in Caldera?

Yes.  In fact, the tool used is COAS.  It is aware of each program's
config file format as well as accepted comment styles.  I preserves these
across edits.  The next version will be even better at what it does...

> What I would like is a UI (graphical or curses-based menu) with a
> "pick a theme" front dialog (sorta like xmms `skins', a series of
> intermediate "common customizations" dialogs with check boxes, and
> finally an editing screen with your choice of editor with the config
> file in it and also a context-sensitive help window.  Debian does
> _not_ do this right ;-) but then, who does?

[snip]
> Debian also doesn't have the resources to enforce menu standard
> compliance across all packages.  This is something that you should
> demand from a profit-oriented company, though.  I think in general you
> should be willing to trade off the Debian generality for a good job on
> a single environment such as KDE or GNOME, as long as you like it :^)

Aggreed.

Marc Christensen	       |  Check out the linux-access pages.
SysOp CDSS University of Utah  |  linux-access - Making a difference!
http://ssv1.union.utah.edu     |  http://ssv1.union.utah.edu/linux-access/

Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691