Re: tlug: Patching the RH6.0 kernel

On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 05:25:47PM +0900, Dennis McMurchy wrote:
>   I've had a look on the RedHat site, but see no sign anywhere of
> patches.  This shouldn't be hard at all, but I've noticed that
> nothing's easy with this RedHat stuff.  What am I to do?  I would
> hate to think that I wasted my time downloading all those patches
> from sunsite.

Seems like what you're trying to do is have the best of both worlds;
to have the RedHat packaged-up-and-(hahaha)-fixed version of the kernel
source, but also be able to patch it yourself too.

You either want to get a copy of the clean source, which is called
linux-2.2.5.tar.(gz|bz2) available from your local friendly kernel
mirror, or wait until RedHat release an update.

Incidentally, if you have the RedHat SRPMS, the SRPM to the
kernel-source RPM will contain the original sources, separate from the
RedHat patches that are giving you trouble.

Please note, I'm not knocking RedHat here; they provide you with
turn-key solutions. If those turn-key solutions aren't actually what
you want, then it's sensible that you may have to go about things
a different way.

--
"Language shapes the way we think, and determines what we can think about."
-- B. L. Whorf