tlug: Re:Installing on Notebook

Thanks John,

I'd been on those HP before but both guys installed it through the
Internet...
I was tring a different apporach making a copy of the CD-Rom to my HD and
tring to install from there. There is some instructions how to perform a DOS
instalation, but a message of kernel panic appears on the screen saing that
they cannot mount the root partition. Since all the files are on the W98
partition I guess the installer is not able to see the Linux partition that
I prepared. I guess I can pass some parameters to Lilo or to loadlin in
order to solve this problem.

Anyway, the weekend is just around the corner and I will have more time for
experimentations!

Marcos Pb

PS: As my BIOS is not CD-Rom bootable I had to make a boot disk and a module
disk (because of PCMCIA) that, BTW, was working fine. When I tried this
installation process, everything went well, the installer recognize the
PCMCIA but NOT the CD-Rom connected on it and aborted the installation...

>Hmmm...  Interesting..
>
>have you tried looking into:
>     http://slf.gweep.net/~sfoskett/linux/p3010.html
>       &
>     http://www.kd-dev.com/~dereks/toshiba/
>
>And if you're CD-Rom is connected via PCMCIA, I think you'd need to use
>a boot disk with an image which supports PCMCIA devices...  But what do
>I know...;-)  Haven't tried it, so I can't really say for certain..;-)
>
>Good Luck!
>

>Cheers,
>

>John Clark

Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:30   place: Temple Univ.
* Linux Internationalisation Initiative (Li18nux) speaker: Akio Kido
* Japanese TrueType Fonts                     speaker: Adrian Havill
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai:  December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691