Re: tlug: gcc use

On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Muni wrote:

>    Hmm, I don't know why...   The demos only run when I put all the lib
> and includes in /usr/lib, but not /usr/local/lib.  Is there anything
> else
> I'm supposed to do after editing /etc/ld.so.conf??? (Well, I guess it's
> ok
> since it runs using /usr/lib)

I think you may need to run ldconfig after editing /etc/ld.so.conf.

>    And compiling doesn't work either.  Here's the result:
> $ gcc -o hello hello.c -lMesaGLU -lMesaGL -lXext -lXmu -lX11 -lm
> -L/usr/lib
> ld: cannot open -lXext: No such file or directory

Find the libXext.a file on your system, e.g.,

$ find / -name libXext.a

If you don't have it, do you need it?  Try compiling without -lXext.
If you do have it, try specifying its directory with -L before the -lXext.
If that doesn't work, try specifying the full path name, e.g.,

$ gcc -o hello hello.c -lMesaGLU -lMesaGL /where/ever/it/is/libXext.a -lXmu -lX11 -lm -L/usr/lib

--
David Beutel            "The chief cause of problems is solutions."
jdb@example.com

Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:30   place: Temple Univ.
* Linux Internationalisation Initiative (Li18nux) speaker: Akio Kido
* Japanese TrueType Fonts                     speaker: Adrian Havill
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai:  December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691