Re: tlug: Duel Celron Linux Box

Two machines are best connected with Ethernet.  You just need a couple
cables, a couple cards, and a cheap hub.  Or, if you're pretty sure you
won't have more than two machines on your network for a long time, you
can get a crossover Ethernet cable and plug them directly together
without a hub.

As far as using the same monitor goes, all you need is a cheap monitor
switch box (about 3,000 yen) and two cables, one for each machine.  The
cable from your monitor plugs into the input port on the switch box.

You have several choices for the printer: get a cheap printer switch box
(like the monitor switch above), get a hardware print spooler
(expensive), or just set up one machine with the printer and have it
provide remote lpd services to the other.  The last one is your cheapest
option if you network the machine, because it requires no additional
cost beyond the network hardware that you need anyway.

With a healthy beast like a dual celery machine, you could also run
Windows under VMWare on the same machine (VMWare for non-commercial use
is $99, I think) and just have one box. This will work well in 128 meg
of memory, but if I were going to be doing a lot of stuff and running
VMWare, I'd probably get 256 meg, so that I could give 128 to the
virtual machine and still keep 128 for Linux.  This approach would let
you sell the old machine and recover some of the cost of building the
new one.

Of course, just not running Windows at all is the Preferred Solution
:-)

I'm not familiar with the motherboard you mention, though.  I'd thought
the Abit BP-6 was the only dual Celeron motherboard on the market.
Can you tell me more about that board?

Final point: you will need to compile an SMP kernel to take advantage
of the new board, or if you're installing from scratch, some distros
give you a choice at install time of installing a regular or SMP kernel
(TurboLinux does, not sure about others).  But if you just transplant
your disk from one box to the other, you need to compile an SMP kernel.

Of course, that dual Celeron box will be most welcome to join the
TLUG RC5 team  :-)

Jonathan

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Jack Morgan wrote:

> Yesterday at the Nomikai meeting, some of us were talking about a duel
> celron Linux box. I want to put one of these together but am not sure how I
> can connect it to my present machine. My present machine has:

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** Linux 8th Birthday Anniversary! ***
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.
*** Topics: 1) Linux i18n   2) Japanese TrueType fonts