Re: tlug: Audio ripping/MP3

Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 02:59:29PM +0900 において
Stephen J. Turnbull さん曰く:

> There were some comments a while back about audio ripping and MP3s.
>
> (1) Are there PC front-panel format MD drives?  If not, I suppose I
> have to go through the external audio-in to the sound card.  It would
> be cool if you could rip the MD drive.  How about digital transfer
> (most MD players can do that) to a sound card or so?  (I guess it
> would be too much to hope that MD digital output is a compliant
> version of the IEEE 1394 "Firewire" standard, huh.)

There is no "front-panel" MD player as far as I know but there are some
music MD recorders that can be connected via SCSI (no, not MD-data).
These are basically for industry-use (huge-yen) and are fed the raw PCM
this way. There is even a Linux driver for it. At the place I worked this
summer, they used it for a Linux-driven Music vending machine
 (www.musicpod.com) . It records at 8x speed. Unfortunatly the specs
are under a NDA with Sony so the drivers won't be made public in the
near future (like the VRML parser or MPEG2 decoder driver (;_;))

And about the digital output of normal players:
There is no true digital output possible with most players. The music
data on the MD is compressed 1:5 with an algorithm similar to MP3. This
is an non-reversible compression so, any recording would be

digital-in  -> compression -> compressed -> uncompression -> digital out
 raw PCM                       digital                        <>original

the anti-piracy bit can actually be easyly be removed if you know how.
Just need to put a specific filter on the cable. A kit for self-soldering
can be bought for about 3000 yen.
--

        Oliver M. Bolzer
        oliver@example.com

PGP-Fingerprint:   0A A5 48 FB FC 72 69 1A  7E 7F 08 34 48 14 C7 77
「僕がそれを必要としていた時、彼女の癒しの風が僕をやさしく包んでくれた」

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** Linux 8th Birthday Anniversary! ***
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.
*** Topics: 1) Linux i18n   2) Japanese TrueType fonts