Re: tlug: Audio ripping/MP3

----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull@example.com>
To: <tlug@example.com>
Sent: September 8, 1999 10:59 PM
Subject: tlug: Audio ripping/MP3

> There were some comments a while back about audio ripping and MP3s.
>
> I'm recording my lectures on MD, and would like to move those to MP3
> and store them in that format on CD.
>
> (1) Are there PC front-panel format MD drives?  If not, I suppose I
> have to go through the external audio-in to the sound card.  It would
> be cool if you could rip the MD drive.  How about digital transfer
> (most MD players can do that) to a sound card or so?  (I guess it
> would be too much to hope that MD digital output is a compliant
> version of the IEEE 1394 "Firewire" standard, huh.)

    I can help with your first question here. I understand that the MD
digital connector is of the SPDIF (Sony Philips Digital Interface Format?)
format.  But it's an optical connector, the SBLive is digital.  So you'd
need a converter.

    I check out all this info until I realised my portable MD recorded
doesn't have a digital out.  :-(

James

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.