Re: tlug: Audio ripping/MP3

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>    There were some comments a while back about audio ripping and MP3s.
>
>    I'm recording my lectures on MD, and would like to move those to MP3
>    and store them in that format on CD.
>
>    (1) Are there PC front-panel format MD drives?  If not, I suppose I
>    have to go through the external audio-in to the sound card.  It would
>    be cool if you could rip the MD drive.  How about digital transfer
>    (most MD players can do that) to a sound card or so?  (I guess it
>    would be too much to hope that MD digital output is a compliant
>    version of the IEEE 1394 "Firewire" standard, huh.)
>
>    (2) How much compression does MP3 give for music track purposes?
>    Would it be possible to turn up the compression -- obviously sound
>    quality is not of all that great importance -- for my purpose?

Dont know much about MP3,  MPEG-1 video CD standard uses 192kb/s per
channel for sound, which amounts to 1:4 compression of the
uncompressed audio CD stream. MPEG Layer-3 is claimed to give
excellent sound quality for monophonic speech at 56 kbps and good
quality for stereo music  even at 64kbps. (see MPEG faq at
http://ftp.sunet.se/mpeg1/mpegfaq) 56kbps mono means 1:25 compression
over 44.1Khz sampled 16bit CD stereo sound (about 25 hours of speech on
a single CD !).

>    (3) Software recommendations?

There is an encoder demo available at
http://www.iis.fhg.de/amm/download/mp3enc/index.html
I have not tried it myself.

>    On a slightly different topic, does anybody know if there are any
>    video editing cards that handle digital output from DV cameras?

I use a SONY VAIO notebook with builtin capture hardware via a
firewire port, and SONY DVGate Motion software for capture and clipping.
Adobe Premier can be used to further edit the the captured clips. If
you are lookig for an editing card, I have no idea. I should say
that SONY's DV codec is uses minimal intra frame compression (good for
editing), so the captured files are rather big -- 2GB for 10 minutes
video. The edited moview can be recorded back on to a DV tape via
firewire.

There are many DV capture cards other than SONY's VAIO based ones.
Digital Origin cards (www.digitalorigin.com) appears to be popular.
Their MotoDV card bundled with some software including Adobe Premiere LE
version sells under $400 -- see http://www.videoguys.com/radius.htm.
Must check whether your DV cam is supported.

Selva
-------
Single Quantum Dot Project, 5-9-9 Tokodai, Tsukuba 300-2635
Phone: 0298-47-7904

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.