tlug: CODA [was: Time]

    >> BTW, if you're still interested in CODA, 5.2.7 is definitely
    >> usable (on i386 systems, for the first time since about 4.6.5
    >> when I first tried it).  5.3.1 is out, but I don't know how
    >> reliable it is.  And I dunno if it works on Sparc, yet.

    NRC/Tokyo> What was CODA again?

CODA is a distributed file system (eg, NFS) implemented via remote
procedure calls (RPC) which is based on the Andrew File System (AFS)
developed at CMU and later commercialized by IBM (no commercial code
involved in CODA itself, of course).  Written mostly in C++, although
the RPC and light-weight process (threading) code are getting aged and
are in C.  CODA is being developed at CMU.

The special features of CODA are that (1) it implements a
high-availability system by automatically maintaining consistency of
multiple servers, and (2) it allows disconnected operation with
automatic reintegration of client caches to the server.

It is not a substitute for CVS, though, except for very light usage.

For more information, http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/.

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.