tlug: Time

We just installed a new Linux OS (Redhat 6.0 for Sparc) on one of our
mailservers here.  In the course of tying bits of the new system into the
surrounding network, I have run into a weird problem.  There is a timed
daemon on the new system, which I hooked up for service in
/etc/inetd.conf.  Sure enough, I now get a time back from this machine
when I rdate against it from the other servers (running TL 3.0 at
present).  But it isn't a time that I myself have ever set on a watch that
I owned (because I didn't exist yet):

  [root@example.com /root]# rdate 133.6.33.1
  [133.6.33.1]    Mon Apr 28 01:25:08 1952

An error I would understand, but this is just bizzare.  Did someone change
the protocol, or modify the source to the timed daemon in the past year or
so?

My first thought was to drop timed and rdate and shift to 100% ntp for
timekeeping; we use ntpdate to set our central server, and once set up it
seems to have been rock solid.  But I seem to remember that configuring
the xntp timeserver looked like a huge job, so I've shied away.

Suggestions, anyone?

Cheers,
--
-x80
Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.