Re: Re: tlug: Green Frog Linux 0.3a Released

Hi,

>Please forgive my ignorance. What are the major features of the >Green Frog
>distribution?
Features? *Laugh*  It's more like the lack there of... ;-)

>From the Official web page (http://www.linuxstart.com/~austin)
At this moment (Release 0.3a) it containts:
Linux 2.2.10+devfs v99
egcs 1.1.2
glibc 2.1.1
ncurses 5.0beta
Perl 5.005
and a bunch of other stuff. Basically it is a bare minimum Linux system that
will allow you to boot and compile stuff. It contains
most necccecary network stuff(ftpd, lshd, telnetd <-disabled by default,
exim, clients for each).

Uhhhh, I think that it's one of the smaller Linux distros out there with a
full install weighing in at around 75-80MBs(~120 with full kernel sources).
Also currently it has no installer and it was not designed for beginers like
certain other distributions (eg: Redhat and Caldera).  If you're planning on
using it please be prepared to do a lot of compiling on your own, it was
designed to be that way.

Yours,
Austin K. Kurahone

Ps:  I'm preping a Japanese add-on pack for Greenfrog.  It will include
Canna, kon, less+japanese patches, jvim, and mutt+japanese patches.  The web
browser w3m already supports Japanese, and I'm not going to be needing other
stuff, (eg: Perl patched).s a concept it will be more like Apple's
JLK(Providing the IM and fonts, not a full Japanisation, if I remember
correctly) than the PJE packages. It will most likely be about another week
before it's done, providing that I don't get any other distractions in my
way ;-)

Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691