tlug: Re: too many? encodings and compilers

> > Setting Unicode aside for the moment,
> > is there any _single_ Japanese encoding
> > that has been suggested to take the
> > place of euc, jis and sjis?
> > Seems like a needless hassle having
> > to convert between two or three and
> > make sure that software can display all
> > of the three.
>
> Unicode is exactly it.  Why set it aside?
> I doubt there is any other.

Well, not a few Japanophones find fault with Unicode, as evidenced
by the ongoing usage of the above-mentioned encodings. I don't
want to get bogged down into a debate on Unicode, just wanted
to know if there was (or why there wasn't) _one_ Japanese encoding.
That's why I set it aside.

> tested enough to go with it. Have a look at the web page, apply the patches,
> and remove the error line. If you ignore the warnings, it should build
> happily.

Thanks!

Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691