tlug: Problem with Sony PCG-N505

Hi!

I ordered a Sony PCG-N505 note book only to discover that
(unlike older 505s) the included floppy drive is a USB
device, which spoils may plan to install Linux via Ethernet
on the machine, because the kernel on the boot disk cannot
find a floppy device to read the auxiliary disk containing
PCMCIA support for the install (booting from the boot disk
works, even with USB).

Does anybody have any creative ideas about what I can do?
I guess there is no way to get Linux' half-baked USB support
to work at boot time.

For those not knowing the machine, I should probably note
that the thing has no builtin CD-ROM.  There is an external
CD-ROM using some (it seems) Sony-specific PCMCIA-like card,
but I never had any success getting that to work with Linux
on an older 505.  (I am attempting to put RedHat 6.0 on the
thing.)

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Manuel
Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691