tlug: Local domains and sendmail

When I connect to my ISP and try to send mail, the SMTP mail messages
bounce off my ISP with the complaint

<neil@example.com>... Sender domain must exist

The ISP's machine cannot find domain, as it is only local after
all. What is the standard way to resolve this problem?  I've tried the
DM line in sendmail.cf, but that didn't seem to help.

Thanks,

Neil.

Next Nomikai: May 26 (Wed), 19:30                        Place: TBD
*** Special guest: Eric S. Raymond
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.