Re: tlug: RC5-64 Contest

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Tetsuji Rai wrote:

>  That sounds interesting, but doesn't seem fair.   The degree of devoted
> effort of each individual must be quite different.   One might be run 10 or

I am not at all willing to go there.  That's way too complicated and has
way too much potential for fighting over who did what.  The only two
options that are viable (IMO) are the ones that I proposed.  What if
that person's machine is faster than any one of mine (my fastest is a
K6-233) but not faster than all of them in total?  We'd actually have to
weight it by the person's overall key rate.  Or would we weight it by
total number of keys processed?  Or the person's key rate at the time of
cracking?  It would be a nightmare.

I personally have seven machines running this 24 x 7, and I certainly
would not ask for a larger share of the prize - if we get it - than a
person with only one machine crunching keys.

I hope that everyone else will be similarly civic-minded.

If not, well, then the person who cracks it can split it 50-50 with TLUG
and the rest of the team gets nothing.  I have no problem with that,
either.

>    BTW, I tried to access the URL, http://rc5stats.distributed.net/pjointeam.ph
> p3?team=13008
>  but I was asked my username (or email address) and password, so I couldn't
> enter.

Yes, you do need to put those in.  If you're not sure of your password,
go to your stats page and hit the "mail me my password" link.  It will be
mailed to you, and then you can join the team.  Note that people who
just started today will not appear in the database until tomorrow, after
about 11:30 JST.

Jonathan Byrne                                   Engineering Division
Global Online Japan                              http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81-3-5334-1701   Direct: +81-3-5334-1756

Next Nomikai: TBD                    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.