tlug: Kernel Hacking

>>>>> "Yong-Ming" == Yong-Ming Hua <yhua@example.com> writes:

    Yong-Ming>      I have got a weird thing right here. For some
    Yong-Ming> reasons, everytime I try to make new configurations,
    Yong-Ming> such as a new scsi dev, other settings keep going back
    Yong-Ming> to defaults(are there such stuff

>From the subject I assume you're talking about building a new kernel?
What exactly are you doing to "make new configurations"?

The kernel configuration has original defaults distributed with the
configuration script (in arch/$ARCH/defconfig and
arch/$ARCH/config.in).  Once you have configured the kernel, your
values are kept in a "hidden" file, .config.  These defaults should be
used the next time (and overide the distribution defaults).  Unless
you do something special, they will be used and replaced every time
you reconfigure the kernel.

As far as I know, the only operations that normally touch .config
are `make *config' (obviously) and `make mrproper' (which rm's it).  In
particular `make clean', `make dep', and `make <objects>' do not.

I'm not sure what happens if you try to invoke `scripts/Configure' (or
any of the other configuration utilities) directly; you should always
do so via `make *config' as far as I know.

Next Nomikai: TBD                    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.