Re: tlug: differences between japanese input methods?

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, John Seebach wrote:

> I read Craig Oda's Linux-Nihongo guide (thanks craig),
> and found a great deal of useful information. What I
> can't seem to find anywhere is much in the way of
> comparison between the different input methods
> available (canna, wmm, etc.) and how they work.

You already mentioned I think the two most common:
canna and wnn.  Canna and Wnn 4.2 are free and probably
perform on the same level.  If you are willing to
spend money, I suggest Wnn 6.0.  It outperforms both
Canna and Wnn 4.2 by a long stretch.  Now use Wnn 6.0,
but until recently was using Canna.  I hated Canna
in comparison to Windows IME.  Now I am pretty
satisfied with Wnn 6.0.  There are also a few other
ones out there that I have not used such as: VJE,
and ATOK for Linux is coming out soon I hear.

In short if you don't want to spend money, Canna or
Wnn 4.2 perform the same, so it doesn't really
matter which one you use for most people.  If you
want to have better performance, I recommend buying
Wnn 6.0.

Rob

*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691