Re: tlug: advice needed: choosing a distribution

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     John> Debian 2.1 and Linux-Mandrake 5.3 (essentially redhat 5.2 +
>     John> KDE)
>
> Debian should be satisfactory for your usage; all that stuff is well
> supported.  To get Japanese on a RedHat system you probably need to go
> to a third-party Japanese add-on, and they pretty much suck.  IMHO, of
> course. I think Rob Bickel (my coauthor, so I respect his opinion,
> right?) may disagree, he thinks JRPM and PJE do pretty well.  In

Actually, I just don't have as much experience with Debian as I
do with both Slackware and Redhat.  I did install Debian once and
my biggest complaint (in terms of using Japanese) was that there
was not help in setting up various software packages necessary in
order to use Japanese.  Things like how to start canna or wnn,
sample .emacs, etc, etc where not there.  These are included with
PJE (you can install several sample config files when you install
PJE).  Of course you can always just get the sample files from PJE
and look at them on top of a debian installation.  I just thought
it was nice of PJE to go to the trouble to write sample config files
for all of us beginners.

Rob

*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691