Re: tlug: advice needed: choosing a distribution

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Chris Sekiya wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, John Seebach wrote:
>
> > So. Which distribution to try first, that is the question, and one
> > that I'm sure has been beaten to death before. Sorry to bring it up
> > again.
>
> Actually, I can't really recall any distro wars on this mailing list.
>
> If I had to choose a distro, I would choose debian.  Many, many reasons
> for doing so -- debian is possibly the most mature _current_ distribution
> (slackware is actually the oldest, but it doesn't track major software
> changes very well), it includes the proverbial kitchen sink, and it's a
> distributed development effort.
>
> > And I have absolutely no experience whatsoever with X. So I'm a little
> > nervous about building and configuring it by myself.
>
> Don't be afraid -- X configuration is a very useful skill to have.  I'm a
> big fan of /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config -- it generates a heavily-commented
> XF86Config that often needs no editing whatsoever.  Stay away from
> vendor-specific X configuration tools (RedHat's, PHT's) -- they generate
> crap, in my experience.

actually, 99% of the time they work fine - but, as you say, they don't
load the file with comments, so if you're not an experienced X
configuration guy, you won't be able to manually hack the file if and when
something goes wrong.

However, I've installed a lot of TL machines, and turboxcfg is one of the
TL tools that I actually use myself (ironic, isn't it? :) )

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>

*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691