tlug: Weird side-effect of IP masqing?

I had the oddest experience.

A couple of days ago I set up IP masking on this machine, and had 3
other Linux boxes (1 Intel, 2 Sparc) happily humming away behind it and
connecting to the Internet through this machine via its TA.  That was
cool and it worked great.

Here's the weird part.  The day after I set it up, I didn't get any
mail.  I didn't get any today either.  If I ran fetchmail then looked in
/var/spool/mqueue (with it set to leave a copy on the server) I could
see lots of mail there, but it would disappear but not go to my mail
spool.  Also, it wouldn't do anythng at all unless I killed and
restarted Sendmail.

This evening I took IP masqing out, rebooted, ran fetchmail, and
shazam!  I got a ton of mail that had been going missing for a couple of
days.  That was a relief, but it does have me wondering  why this
happened?  Do I need to do something to sendmail.cf to make it get along
with IP masqing?  If I set up IP masqing on a machine that I'm not
actually using for my workstation, will that fix it?

In this case, I set up my internal network as 192.168.1.0, and this
machine (which was the gateway) was 192.168.1.1.  The other boxes were
192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.5, and 192.168.1.6.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this Linux mystery from the
twilight zone  :-)

Jonathan

*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691