tlug: Not Linux but a UNIX hardware problem

I've got an SGI Indigo here with a DAT tape drive in it. I'm trying to
restore some data off of it. However, it reads the tape for a little bit,
and then tells me there's an I/O error. Since it won't let me select
individual files or directories off the tape to restore, I'm screwed. It's
all or nothing with this machine. Is there any kind of command or
alteration I can do to convince the machine to read everything it can off
of the tape and skip errors instead of just having it keel over and die at
the first sign of trouble?

PS, this is a bit of an emergency, since if i can't restore this work, many
months of effort go right down the drain. Please advise me as to any
options I might have.
	Dave

*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691