Re: tlug: XFree86 and Viper V330

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Neil Booth wrote:

> I have a Viper V330 video card (NVIDIA RIVA 128ZX chipset). Until
> recently there has only been the basic SVGA server support for this
> chipset, meaning my maximum resolution was 1024x768 and colour depth 16.
>
> Remembering a message from Chris a while ago where he said it should be
> possible to upgrade servers without upgrading the whole of XFree, and a
> private mail from Scott mentioning that my chipset was supported by
> XFree 3.3.3.1, I decided to give it a go.

Actually the Viper V330 has been supported since XFree86 3.3.2 - unless
they changed the chip in the V330 from the old revisions to the new..?

> Despite searching the XFree86 site, I haven't been able to easily
> discover which server supports the 128ZX - I assume it is just the SVGA
> server. I upgraded to the latest version of that, and sure enough
> everything works and I can now get a resolution of 1280x1024 (I couldn't
> get this res previously). However, the screen seems to have more glare
> (like extremely rapid flicker) and is a bit painful to look at. Under
> 1024x768, my monitor is one of the easiest on the eyes I've ever used.

SVGA is the right server.

> My question: is this a configuration problem or a monitor problem? My
> monitor specs give the max resolution as 1280x1024 non-interlaced, and
> my horz scanning frequency as 30kHz to 64kHz. I notice that the default
> mode lines in XFree86Config requires a horz frequency of 64.2kHz. Maybe
> that .2 extra is making a difference (I have the monitor's upper range
> in the config file as 64.3 - I think some setup program provided this a
> while ago).
>
> I can of course supply the config if it helps.
>
> Am I right in thinking that even this latest driver provides none of the
> acceleration offered by the video card?

it provides pretty much full acceleration in 2D - 3D is currently not
supported, but my Riva128 runs pretty dang fast under X.

You might want to just reconfigure X.  I can send a Riva128 XF86Config if
you want.

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux English / Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc. (http://www.turbolinux.com)

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691