RE: tlug: Unix Workstations

Let me know when you have cash as well as talent. Seriously, though, I might
be able to lend some assistance to so worthy a project as XFree86-email me
about the details.

For anyone serious, of course I'll consider offers. Some of these machines
have already found good homes, where the "price/performance ratio" of a
Monitor like that attached to a Sparc station of that "vintage" is
appreciated-Of course we'd all like one of those new SGI 17 inch Flat panel
monitors with the number Nine IV-FP graphics card (check out the brief
review in the Feb. issue of Maximum PC (used to be Boot) on page 10 (and the
facing page ad). And of course we want to run it in a QuadXenon....... I
wonder if this combination will be supported in XFree86, or elsewhere.

Naturally it depends on what you want to do, and what kind of money a person
has, as to what makes a piece of used equipment kick-ass or a boat anchor.
These prices are about 100,000 yen less than I've seen in Akihabara, but if
a person wants to look around, occasionally a really prime machine of this
type comes up at a very good price. The thing to watch out for is interior
burnout.  The vents on the sides get plugged up pretty easily, and then the
insides slowly cook.  Be sure to open the box, and if things have a kind of
burnt, brown look to them, the machine is probably at the very end of it's
life cycle.

I haven't seen any UltraSparc machines on the used market yet-other than VNC
mentioned by Jonathan Byrne, anyone know of places to look?

Should this be on the advocacy list? Or is it appropriate here?

Steve