tlug: Wanted: Tool to create gif's/jpg's in a CGI

I am looking for a tool to use to create images for a
web based CGI app. The images are real simple really,
just boxes, lines and arrows and some text.
I have tried to use groff pic macros via embedded ps
and ghostscript but the pic macros are not that fun
(no colors) and the whole process was rather shaky
and slow.

I figured I can't be the first one that want's to
generate images for my CGIs so I am surprised that
I have not found anything. I am new to this image
business so I just don't know where to look anymore
or what to look for.

Pointers/hints anybody?

/Fredric
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691