tlug: Miscellaneous corruption

This afternoon my laptop failed to come back after a suspend, and
this time forcing a reboot of the hung machine did some interesting
things to the disk.  I was dropped into single user mode, from where
I ran fdisk and said yes to everything.  The machine came up, but
there are a few obvious anomalies, and no doubt some gotchas lurking
below the surface.

I need the machine back in service immediately, so I'll probably do
a full restore from backup tonight.  But one thing sort of puzzles me
anyway, hence this question.

Some Kanji text in the mail reader (Mutt in a Kterm) now presents as dots
on the screen instead of kanji.  Some kanji still displays.  Both are
encoded in JIS in the underlying document.  Anyone have an idea which link
in the chain (Kterm, Kinput2, Wnn6, Mutt, the X server, the font) is the
likely source of this anomaly?  I've reinstalled the glibc RPM, recompiled
Mutt and reinstalled Kterm.  Still I get the same behavior.  Weird.

I'm also having weird problems with DNS resolution: when fetchmail is
invoked, it whinges about not being able to resolve host addresses (like
tlug.pht.co.jp --- which pings without complaint), then fetches the
message and takes upwards of a minute sometimes to actually place it in
the incoming mailbox.

Just describing these symptoms has convinced me that starting over from
scratch is the thing to do.

Thanks for listening.

Cheers,
--
-x80
Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691