tlug: new from LinuxWorld

Hi all,

Here I am on the floor of the LinuxWorld conference in sunny San Jose,
CA. It's quieter today than it was yesterday but thousands have
already showed up.

Saw RMS give an interview yesterday - nothing new but I guess it's
good to see he's consistent. Later a suit approached the FSF booth and
inquired whether RMS would consider working for a commercial
organization. When told, "No." the suit asked, "Even if we could make
him a millionair?" The answer was still no. The suit
walked away with a stiff back ;)

Caldera is running the slickest booth with install demos and
wordperfect demos. They're handing out 1.3 CDs and say a 2. version
will be out the first week in April.

SUSE was handing out a 'demo' version - not sure what that means?!
Maybe its got a time stamp.

Managed to get a 3 CD Debian set - yesterday, they were gone in hours
and I missed them.

Bill Ball was autographing his new "visual" Using Linux book based on
Caldera - seems like a pretty nice guy.

Caught a glimpse of "Mad Dog" yesterday and ran into Craig Oda at the
TurboLinux booth today.

I'm not sure all the commercial glitz is good for the 'Linux soul' but
I guess that's an advocacy topic.

Sendmail is here with demos of the new Sendmail Pro GUI front end to
edit the .cf file. My only thought on that was there goes one of the
UN*X rights of passage. Probably a good thing.

Had a good chat with the guys at Tripwire. Now I know why I could
never get it to work with SparcLinux - it's not supported.

Lots more but I'm sure you can read about it on Freshmeat (they're
here) and /. (they're here too!)

Have fun Linuxing.

Jim S.

==
Jim Schweizer
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~jims/

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691