Re: tlug: Databases

Frank,

> Q1: Where is a good place to start reading up on networked databases that
>     run under Linux?

The 2 main database engines in the Web+Linux community are MySQL and PostgreSQL.

They both have good sites, the PostgreSQL site includes a good chart which
places itself amongst it's competition on functionality.

	http://www.postgresql.org/
	http://www.mysql.org/

> Q2: Will Postgres handle Japanese text strings and paragraphs?

If you mean PostgreSQL, then yes.

> Q3: Are there any similar projects (in terms of computing architecture,
>     not end purpose) that I can look to for models of how to proceed?

I am sure there are lot's of similar projects. This might be an interesting
starting point:

    http://cs.sau.edu/~cfisher/uw/018.html

He talks about using PHP3 as an interface to the database.

The pages above may have links to `sites that use our products'. Also check
out the PHP3 home page for examples of sites using PHP3 to connect to various databases.
PHP3 seems to support them all (including Oracle :-) ).

I would be interested to hear what you come up with.

Regards,

Peter
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691